Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Patchwork from Grade 8 students

When I look at the works from the Grade 8 art class at Branksome Hall, the quilts from Gees Bend come to mind.


this is CONTRAST

I see a modern art aspect, like from the 60's, with some of the combinations.

This is PATTERN
photo by T. Butler

The wonkiness of some blocks is primitive yet so charming.

detail, MOVEMENT

The girls made 6 quilts using different art concepts- Contrast, Unity, Movement, Pattern, Balance and
Emphasis.

The students designed and sewed their own blocks. They tied their quilts with embroidery floss and the teacher put the binding on.

They will be displayed at the school before they are donated.

this is a detail from BALANCE

I wasn't involved in this class but I did watch them work once. It was nice to see them problem solving with measurements and placement of their chosen fabrics.

this is EMPHASIS

 Because quilting has been such a positive thing in my life, I was glad to see a new generation introduced to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment