Monday, February 6, 2012

The Best Part

I love sewing on binding on a quilt by hand. (It's not the same as hand stitching. This is manageable. You can hold the fabric without getting all tangled up in it.)



I'm not sure why. It could be the steady rhythm and movement of the arm as it pulls the needle and thread through the layers or maybe the closeness that 'we' share as it lays on my lap.



That is when I start loving the quilt. I see it close up. I see all the fabrics I used. I pull off all the little threads. I feel its warmth.


It was dropped off at a friend's on the weekend. She will be taking it to the Cayman Islands as part of Ad Maiora Canada's contribution to the Cayman Islands Hospital and the new Diabetes Education Centre at the Chrissie Tomlinson Memorial Hospital. The children receiving the quilts will be between the ages of 7 and 10, newly diagnosed with diabetes.

I put a "Canadian" label on the back.
Judy Davidson did the gorgeous quilting on a long-arm machine.

Our sister group in Verona has also made some and they will be sending theirs soon.

1 comment:

  1. As I read your blog today I got such a good feeling thinking of how the children will feel when they wrap themselves in such a comfortable and peaceful quilt. What a wonderful humanitarian project.

    ReplyDelete