Tuesday, May 3, 2011

hexagons everywhere

Hexagon quilts have had a resurgence in the past 5 years.

sidewalk in Barcelona

floor in the Comune, Verona

Sicilian kitchen tile

floor at Le Petit Italien, Montreal restaurant

floor, Santa Maria Maggiore, Roma

floor, Santa Maria Maggiore, Roma

the ultimate hexagon!

although this reads as a 3-D cube, or as a tumbling block
quilt pattern, the outline is a hexagon.
floor of San Giorgetto, Verona


In March during Verona Tessile, I taught a hexagon class at FNAC, the italian version of an Indigo / Future Shop combination.

Laura, a Verona Tessile executive, and I

There were 35 people, some of whom had never sewn before. I taught the traditional method using a paper template. To print the paper templates, click http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/


The best part of the workshop, in my opinion, was the friendships that transpired. At the end, new friends were exchanging phone numbers.




I have finally finished my hexagon quilt. It is made with pieces of my fabric scraps as well as bits given to me by friends and students. I used reusable plastic templates instead of the traditional paper.

reusable templates and my special box
that I bought at a quilt shop in Barcelona

I made the body of the quilt and appliqued in onto a contemporary fabric border. I like the juxtaposition of the traditional hexagon design in the Grandmother's Garden (1930) pattern done in a non traditional way bordered with the contemporary fabric by designer Kaffe Fassett.

crib size quilt with contemporary flowered border

They say, "It is not a quilt until it is quilted" so technically I still have a ways to go!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the hexagon photos! What an eclectic collection!

    ReplyDelete