Saturday, February 12, 2011

artists I love

I love El Anatsui's work, a well known contemporary African artist born in Ghana.

The Art Gallery of Ontario, www.ago.net, has one of his tapestries made of metal in their permanent collection.

The Royal Ontario Museum, www.rom.on.ca, has a retrospective of his work on exhibit right now.

royal ontario museum
I love the outside, old meets new
I don't like the inside so much

royal ontario museum, west view

The exhibit closes February 27.  It is very interesting to see the evolution of his work over 40 years.

crumbling wall, made from discarded cassava graters, a patchwork of metal!

detail showing use of discarded metal from liquor bottles

I also use 'garbage' in my work. That is one thing that draws me to his creations.

reuse,  reduce, recycle, detail, 100cm x 100cm
bubble wrap, fabric bits and thread garbage, magazine paper
part of 13th carrefour europeen du patchwork, 2007
toured europe for 1 year as part of a group exhibit.

reflect and repair, detail, 2009
exhibited in:
 veldhoven, netherlands, in march 2010 as part of open european championships
verona, mystery e, 2009
side space gallery, 2010
bubble wrap, painted cotton, paper, machine and hand stitched
 photographs of garbage at toronto's recycling plant by heidi leverty
www.heidileverty.com





No comments:

Post a Comment